Portnox eliminates all the common NAC pitfalls and is able to bring the promise of full real-time device visibility and network access control to a reality.
Portnox Scales For Retail
Portnox eliminates all the common NAC pitfalls and is able to bring the promise of full real-time device visibility and network access control to a reality. Some of the many benefits our retail customers realize when deploying Portnox are:
- Central deployment – no need for in store appliances and/or in store resources to deploy.
- Client/agentless deployment.
- 100% network coverage – all locations (HQ, stores, etc.) – all networks (wired, wireless, etc.)
- 100% real-time device visibility – if it has power, we find & control.
- Flexible and extensive device access policies based on (user, device, location, time, risk score).
- Dynamic VLANs supported across the entire network including in store.
- Easy set-up and control of guest network requirements.
- Flexible BYOD options to best align with in store requirements.
- Significant value to assure meeting PCI DSS requirements and audits.
Portnox Aligns with Retail
As the world starts to comprehend the scale and security importance of the ‘Internet of Things (IoT)’ network and security administrators operating in retail environments can say: ‘I told you so!’ The reality is that between point-of-sale, scanners, scales, thermostats and physical security components – administrators in retail have already had to deal with many of the issues now being confronted by other industries. Compounding the matter further, retailers are increasingly in the cross-hairs of attackers seeking to gain private information, financial data or simply cause harm and disrupt service.
Most common network access security solutions face issues in dealing with the following common retail requirements:
- Widely distributed network (HQ, distribution centers, retail outlets, etc.)
- Extensive VLAN requirements (POS, card processing, non-card processing, guest, etc.)
- Growing demand for guest network access at retail outlets.
- Limited onsite retail store network/security resources.
- PCI DSS audit requirements.
These and other challenges have made it difficult if not impossible for retail enterprises to have total device visibility and access control across their entire network, across all access layers for all devices.
Good Luck Installing Agents on Registers/Devices
- Increasing variety across type, version (read: legacy) and purpose.
- Minimal user interface on devices to troubleshoot or handle inaccurate NAC decisions.
- An appliance in every store = a long, expensive, complex and resource intensive deployment.
- Any solution must handle seasonal spikes in traffic from employees/guests.
Portnox Aligns with Retail
The good news is, with our innovative and industry leading network access control solution, this is exactly where Portnox delivers the most value to our retail customers.
We know — Network Access Control (NAC) – you have heard it all before! As a retailer, you’ve likely already attempted to deploy one form or another of NAC. The problem – it does not scale, easily cover store locations or provide the necessary features to meet your growing network and device proliferation needs.
Unparalleled Visibility and Accuracy
If it is on the network and has power – Portnox will see it – other solutions might miss it. Why? Portnox does not use IP ranges and scans but instead speaks natively to the switches, wireless controllers, gateways and routers to ensure that each and every connected device is visible – nothing can hide!
Complete and Intelligent Control With No Agent Software
Accuracy and policy agility has always been the Achilles’ heel of NAC solutions. Far too often policies fail by disconnecting the right user (an executive with a minor policy mismatch, for instance) or worse, connecting the wrong user (malicious user or infected device). When you see everything, you can make far more accurate, intelligent and automated decisions. This is why Portnox has been able to deliver far more value and graduate from being yet another monitoring solution to a proactive and competent enforcer.
Policy enforcement should not be ‘one size fits all’. In the same way a bank or insurance provider will assess the risk of a specific loan or policy, so should NAC solutions consider all the possible factors available before making a decision about a specific device, network location or user identity. Portnox leverages a unique intelligence engine that allows administrators to weigh the prior behavior of a user, device or location before deciding how to enforce a policy infraction.
Scale Down to the Smallest Store/Location
Portnox deploys easily and quickly with no changes to infrastructure or devices required. It does not use appliances or agent software to deliver its full capabilities. Instead, it operates as a server running over Windows using a SQL Server back-end using native protocols such as SNMP, telnet/SSH, NetConf to speak with all existing network infrastructure. No span ports, mirror ports or infrastructure upgrades are needed. Portnox then leverages a wide variety (25+) of accurate and proprietary authentication methods to validate and verify each connected device.